Monday, November 21, 2016

Everything but the...

Music.  But before we get into that, lets talk about the good things. Good things like, dancing around the kitchen while my angry emo teenagers roll their eyes...Huh!?  HUH!?  Okay, get on with it.  Jeez.

SoundPEATS Bluetooth Headphones In-Ear Sports Earbuds Secure Fit Wireless Earphones with Mic (6 Hours Play Time, Bluetooth 4.1, aptX, Sweatproof) - Q15 Black

It was so nice to receive a set of headphones that comes with a case.   All too often I get really nice headphones that might have a nice box to present them in, possibly a fabric bag if you’re lucky, but no case to actually carry them in with you.  I like the option of having a pair of headphones to drop in my bag and not have to worry about them tangling around all my things, in a case that protects my headphones.  Good first impression right out of the box.
Look Ma!  A case!  A case! WOOO!!!
   
You get stuff.  Not only do you get a case, but the unit comes with extra semi closed earbuds as well as closed tips  in various sizes, ear hooks in various sizes, a line buckle for size and line clip to clip to your shirt, along with a USB charging cable.

So many things!!!



Okay.  I was really excited about the case.  
It's the little things, people.  
  
The instructions said that the unit was partially charged, though when I plugged them in for charging, the light was red (indicating charging), but turned blue (charged) after only 10 minutes.  Pairing went well on my android phone, though if you do have a few problems, the instructions cover any troubleshooting you may have.   You are allowed to pair to 2 devices with the same headset, though only 1 can play music with the headset at a time. 

All functions worked well with my android phone with wonderful voice prompts for incoming calls, pairing, low battery, out of range, etc.  Nice and clear pleasant voice. 
The button that rules them all.  
Keep this photo in mind.  I will be referring back to it in a minute.  

The buds themselves were fairly comfortable.  After wearing them for a couple of hours though, I started feeling a little discomfort on the right side.  They stayed in the ear canal without any problems.  I didn’t have any problems with them falling out, especially when using the wire button to keep it all snug when moving around. 

Kind of dude-ly I think.  Good dude-phones...

Inevitably, there are things I am not exactly happy with.


One more pretty picture before we point out the sad parts.  

 
The connections are sturdy both going into the earbuds as well as the multi function control, though the multi function controller is not sealed or rubberized like I like to see in “sweat proof
headphones.  (see above)  This both makes the unit easier to clean, but I feel like it is more protected from sweat, which is an issue during hard workouts.  This is a factor that I want to mention, because I feel it’s important.

I experienced very little wire noise, however, there was a little (noise traveling up the wire where it rubs on my shirt, or when I fumble with the control).  It was minimized when snugging down the wire. 

Sound:  I was mostly disappointed here.  The sound is rather tinny, quite treble with very little bass balance.  I dislike too much bass; however, it is important for good sound balance.  When comparing the sound with other headphones I have, I felt there could be improvement here.  After a while, I almost felt like a headache was inevitable if I kept on using them.   I have to remove 1 star here.  I considered removing 2 stars, but I exchanged the semi closed tips with the fully closed tips, which isolated the sound quite a bit and improved things but not enough to be happy with the sound.

I think that things like talk radio, audiobooks, or smart TV watching might be more compatible with these particular headphones something with minimal dynamics.

Lastly, range.  I was able to get about 26 feet from the source before serious skipping and cutting out occurred.  The unit says 33 feet is the range.  I go by useable range that you can actually hear the unit without interruption. 

The Bottom line?  Suggested retail for these are $50.00, though they are on sale right now for a little less than $20.  I have experienced better sound from lower priced headphones.    That really is a defining factor for me.  To use in a less dynamic environment, such as I described above, 20$ is a good price.  For 50$ I would expect more sound wise.  Though, the extras are excellent.

I was very impressed with the presentation, the fact that I didn’t have to go out and buy a case, the extra tips and hooks, clear and detailed instructions in English, complete with troubleshooting guide was great.  They are light, the earbuds themselves are sweat proof (I question the multi function button a bit in that regard), nice looking.

SADLY, the sound was very disappointing to me and, while the extras are really nice, the really important part is the headphones themselves.  If they don’t sound nice, the extras mean very little in my opinion.





No comments:

Post a Comment